The Government understands that many businesses that were contracted to Carillion will be concerned about their ability to pay their tax. As part of its ongoing commitment to delivering support for businesses, HMRC will provide practical advice and guidance to those affected through its Business Payment Support Service (BPSS).
The BPSS connects businesses with HMRC staff who can offer practical help and advice on a wide range of tax problems, providing a fast and sympathetic route to agreeing the best way forward and addressing immediate concerns with practical solutions.’
The BPSS can:
- Agree installment arrangements if you’re unable to pay your tax on time following the Carillion collapse
- Suspend any debt collection proceedings
- Review penalties for missing statutory deadlines
- Reduce any payments on account
- Agree to defer payments due to short-term cash flow difficulties
HMRC can also provide workers and their families with cash support through the Tax Credits system – all the details are on its website.
Most importantly, HMRC wants to make it clear that if you’re worried about paying your tax, please talk to them because they are here to help.
The service is open seven days a week between 8.00am and 8.00pm on weekdays, closing at 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday: 0300 200 3835. For more information on the support available, visit: www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/business-payment-support-service