Forterra staff cycle for charity

Forterra staff cycle for charity

Staff at Northampton-based building products manufacturer Forterra, including Chief Executive Stephen Harrison, have successfully completed Challenge Adventure Charities’ four-day, 620-mile cycle relay.

The eight team members set off from Ouistreham in France on 2 October and arrived in Vaison-la-Romaine, at the foot of the notoriously challenging Mont Ventoux Tour de France route on 4 October. From here on the following day, the contestants rounded off the relay with a taxing 18-mile climb to the mountain’s 1,900m summit.

Accompanying Stephen Harrison in the first team were two Forterra employees – National Sales Manager Neil McLafferty and Land & Planning Manager Tim Darling – as well as FTI Consulting Managing Director Nick Hasell. The second team was made up of Contracts & Logistics Manager Nick Clark, Business Manager for Merchant Buying Groups Jason Drinkwater, Business Support Manager Ian Holmes and Sales Administration Coordinator Marc Taylor.

75% of all funds raised will be donated to the British Heart Foundation, with the remaining 25% going to Cancer Research UK. Both charities were chosen in recognition of several Forterra staff who have been impacted by these conditions. Prior to setting off, the teams had already raised over £10,000.

Stephen Harrison said: “Mont Ventoux certainly sets the benchmark for feats of endurance – our physical and mental stamina has been well and truly put to the test, but reaching the summit made the challenge well worth it.

“Conquering this infamously demanding route whilst raising funds for two fantastic charities that have a personal connection to so many of our staff is an achievement for all involved, not to mention a privilege.”

Founded in 1996, Challenge Adventure Charities organises two major cycling events each year in aid of charities chosen by the Trustees and event participants. Excluding this month’s event, the challenges have raised £4.2m to date. To find out more, go to

Related posts