Saint-Gobain achieves WWF’s Three Trees recognition

Saint-Gobain achieves WWF’s Three Trees recognition

Saint-Gobain’s distribution businesses in the UK & Ireland has retained its ‘Three Trees’ recognition from the WWF, as part of the WWF’s latest 2019 timber scorecard. 

This is said to recognise Saint-Gobain among the top UK businesses for timber sourcing, with the scorecard assessing business based on policies and performance in sourcing timber. ‘Three trees’ is the highest achievable standard which Saint-Gobain’s Building Distribution businesses in the UK & Ireland have held since the scorecard was first published in 2015, and again in 2017.

To achieve this standard, businesses need to be able to demonstrate that they:

– Are committed to eliminating unsustainable practices in their supply chains

– Have transformed commitments into action; and

– Monitor and report publically against these commitments and are on track to achieve legal and sustainable supply chains by 2020.

The 2019 timber scorecard looked specifically at the performance of 122 UK companies considered by the WWF to be ‘key to achieving a sustainable market in the UK’ and assesses these businesses against a range of criteria including:

 –  Their commitment and advocacy – including details of timber and sustainability policies and supply chain engagement

–  Monitoring and performance – including an assessment of the company’s performance and data

–  Transparency – including the extent to which businesses publish information that is easily accessible.

CEO of Saint-Gobain’s UK & Ireland Distribution businesses, Mike Newnham, said: “We’re extremely pleased to have retained our Three Trees award from the WWF in 2019. This is recognition of the work of our teams to continue to focus on the way in which we source our products. We work closely with suppliers to make sure the appropriate chain of custody is in place for our purchased timber materials and have clear policies in place around species, location and processes for purchasing timber.

“Our goal is to supply 100% of our timber from sustainable sources by 2020 and we’re on track to meet this. Our latest performance shows that over 99% of our timber is from sustainable sources and the remaining 1% is from legally-verified sources with due diligence. Overall it’s very pleasing to see the construction and housebuilding sector at the top of the list of sectors in the WWF’s scorecard.”

To view the WWF’s full Timber Scorecard 2019 report, click here.

Related posts