The national merchant chain is celebrating after winning the Most Innovative Company Benefits and the Best SmartHub® Awards at this year’s Engagement Excellence Awards, created to recognise the best in employee engagement and the businesses that go ‘above and beyond’ to connect with their employees.
The business won the awards for the relaunch of its employee engagement hub, and the overhaul of its existing benefits programme, both of which are outlined below.
- To increase awareness amongst employees of the breadth of benefits on offer by consolidating employee benefits into one single place
- To extend employee interest in benefits from short-term schemes like Cycle to Work, to long-term offers
- A number of rapid business changes resulting in increased scale, activity and ambition
- Different brands that are at different stages of engagement
- Dramatic increase in employees; from 10,000 to 24,000 in a short space of time
The first step was to develop a new benefits strategy, and the second was to use this to successfully relaunch Travis Perkins’s existing employee engagement hub. Accordingly, the business launched the MyPerks brand as the overall online vehicle to deliver benefits to employees, build on engagement, and promote the company’s new Cornerstone Company Values.
Within the MyPerks brand, Travis Perkins used MyPerksPlus as its rebranded and relaunched SmartHub® platform to house employee discounts and long service awards, as well as financial and non-financial recognition. A MyPerksFlex platform was also added to better tailor their colleagues’ benefit package through open enrolment to Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work and other existing salary sacrifice products.
- 66% of overall activity is now benefits-related
- Consistent branding across all 17 business areas
- 68% overall engagement
- Average spend of £3m per annum
- Saving of NIC (thanks to salary specific products) to date
Olivia Parrish, Chief Judge commented: “A number of different business areas, each with different figures of engagement (not to mention the huge scale!) posed a complex challenge for the business. The team responded with creativity, and it absolutely paid off. The results speak for themselves: two fantastic wins!”
This year’s awards were held at the V&A Museum on 22nd September.
Photo credit: Chris Parkes Photographer