Hexstone has been awarded ISO 14001 Environmental Management System Certification. The company has commented.
We are pleased to announce that we have been awarded the internationally recognised ISO 14001:2015 certification for our Environmental Management System. Covering all our trading divisions: Owlett-Jaton, Stainless Threaded Fasteners (STF), Icon Fasteners and Righton Fasteners, we are the first wholesaler to be awarded this certification.
The ISO 14001 Management System will allow us to monitor and improve our environmental performance, at every stage of our operations, in order to ensure best industrial practice and compliance with all relevant legislation.
Undertaking the extensive process to achieve ISO 14001 demonstrates our commitment to continuous improvement.
By identifying our environmental impact, we have been able to develop actions and procedures aimed at improving our performance to create a more efficient business; with less waste and a sustainably responsible supply chain.
Our CEO Ian Doherty is delighted with the accomplishment: “We are delighted to be awarded the ISO 14001 accreditation, which is recognised across the world. We are also the first and only wholesaler in our industry in the UK to achieve this status. Our teams have worked very hard in order to achieve this.
We recognised at an early stage the advantages of certification. We live in a global society which is increasingly concerned with the environmental impact caused by industry, and ISO 14001 certification demonstrates that we take this seriously, and actively want to improve. This gives our customers peace of mind that we go above and beyond with regards to sourcing and supplying responsibly.
Many companies/manufacturers now require their supply chain to have specific environmental management plans; achieving accreditation enables us to demonstrate to our customers Hexstone’s commitment to reducing our environmental impact. Accreditation shows that our customer’s supplier is a responsible company, which increases credibility, and helps towards winning new customers”.
In just the last 12 months we have:
- Stopped using over 15,000 single-use plastic bags a year
- Seen an uptake in customers re-using our packaging
- Invested in energy efficient Lithium Ion Forklift Trucks
- Reduced our landfill waste figure down to just 0.08%
- Moved away from conventional vinyl tape; making 90% of card waste recyclable and 590,000m of plastic tape is now being replaced with paper tape
- Sourced fillers and packers that are 100% recyclable
- Ensured all wood and metal waste is recycled
- Converted to LED lighting – saving over 240 tonnes of CO2 a year
- Promoted hybrid vehicles for company car users and installed energy-efficient electric car chargers
- Engaged with a charity which recycles components from waste electrical items
The new accreditation joins our current ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management credentials.